Saturday 4 May 2013

LOVE STORY

It probably won’t sound like a love story if there is no hero, heroine and a situation. Well, all love stories have that ingredient in common which are cooked in a different way to make an array of cuisines.
Well my story is not an exception to the “rules” of love stories.
It all began when I met Roshan for the first time after ten long years. All these years I had seldom thought of him. Though we were “friends” on facebook, yet we never had a chat and we remained as one of the hundreds of “facebook friends”
Had it not been for the school reunion, I would probably never got a chance to see him again. But when I did, it was as if time hadn’t moved since school days, as if I wasn’t working as a teacher, as if he wasn’t working at a MNC. For that brief moment when our eyes met, and he nodded lightly in my direction, I felt like a school girl, again!
 Then he walked in my direction. With his formal attire I would definitely admit that he looked handsome, his manly features were magnified by that boyish smile of his, he had eyes that could look into anyone’s soul and you get it how it feels like when you meet your crush… yes, I had a huge crush on him when we were in school, but so did other girls. One would never see him without the company of girls, who wore plastic smiles and fake attitudes (no doubt I was jealous of them). I was the definition of nerd back then. With my glasses, and braided hair, braces, I was a no match for the “barbies” that surrounded him. I was just one of the “watch-him-in-dreams girl”
His “hello” brought me back to reality. My heart skipped a beat.
“Hi Diyali” he said again. I could just gawk at him… my mind said, “Speak to him” but my mouth was dry. Not to mention the butterflies in my stomach that screamed “he knows your name”
He cleared his throat again, “this is where you say hi back”
I broke my train of thoughts and said, “Err hello Roshan”. Then he flashed his magnificent smile at me that dazzled me like a thousand diamonds. I smiled back…
“Wow! You have the most amazing smile… I mean without the braces your smile looks fantastic” (and I was like “look who is talking”)
The rest of the evening was almost a dream come true. We talked, a lot, exchanged numbers and he even dropped me home. Before leaving, he said, “you know I was wondering if we could meet again sometime”
I was struck by lightning. With loss of words, I nodded and left… he must have thought I was impolite… or retarded.
We decided to meet up the following weekend. Though I said that I would reach there myself, he insisted on picking me up. When I came out, he was leaning on his car, wearing a pair of denim blue jeans and a white shirt that framed his perfect features. He was a breath taking scenery. I swear I could just stand there and look at him til eternity (yes people! The teenage, mushy love feeling was seeping back) Once more he saw me gawking at him. This time I felt embarrassed.
“You are looking beautiful today, I must say you look more ravishing in sari” he said with a smile.
“When did you… oh at the reunion” I said.  We went to a coffee shop and started to talk.
“So what subjects do you teach at school?”
“I don’t…” I said.
“Sorry? You work as a teacher right?”
“Yes, but I don’t teach. I work as a primary teacher. I take care of kids of nursery” I said.
“Last I remember I heard you were doing your PhD.”
“Ya I do have a PhD degree. I don’t deny that.”
“So why are you taking care of kids?”
“I like it. I have spent too much time studying. And some time as a teacher, teaching “big kids”. I need a break now. At least for some years before I again jump back into research. You see I get peace by being with those small kids who are innocent and loving and know no politics at all. I have seen the world a little. I didn’t like it much. So this is how I escape that world. ”
He just smiled at me… a mysterious smile, the explanation of which he hasn’t given me till date.
After that day, we talked almost every day, over phone, sms, Fb, mails etc. he had returned to Canada and I was in Delhi. I missed him at times, most of the time. Before I could realize, I was in love with him. It was all “stars and diamonds”
And then 0ne day while taking over phone he said, “Diya can I tell you something?”
“Yes please”
“Promise me, you won’t tell anyone”
I felt little concerned. “Ok” was all I said.
“I have decided to settle. I am in love with a girl here. And I think she likes me too. We have been on a couple of dates even. And I think she is the one.”
My heart sank. It felt like I was drowning and I couldn’t think straight.
“Hello… you there?”
“Yes” I gulped with a lump in my throat, “say”
Though I had expected the next words to follow, I had wished in my heart that he wouldn’t say them.
“Tomorrow I am going to ask her to marry me. There is no point in delaying, right?”
“Yeah. You are right. I said wiping my tears.”
“Aren’t you happy for me? I mean you are kind of my best friend now”
“Yes I am very happy for you. Lucky girl. But then again, any girl would be lucky to have you. I said and ended the call”
That night I cried my eyes out. I cursed myself for even thinking that a guy like Roshan would ever even like me that way. After all I was still that “nerd” from school and he was still the most popular guy around. We were a perfect mismatch. I never realized when it was dawn.
I got ready to go to school. In the mirror I could see my swollen eyes, and looking at myself reminded me of Roshan’s eyes. Mine were so pale. On the contrary, his eyes always had that shine. With a heavy heart, I left for school.
The classroom seemed quite… too quite. When I entered all the kids started shouting at once and pointed to the corner of the classroom.
What I saw, I could hardly believe. Roshan was standing there. There was something small in his hands. He came to me and said,
“The kids around here are the witness to the love I have for you, and by judging the swollen eyes of yours, I can proudly say that you love me too.”
And then he went on one knee, “I cannot live without you. From the day I came to know you, I have been in love with you. Would you please accept my love and do me the honor by being my wife?”
Before I know, I was crying. And once gain I couldn’t speak but nod. He got up and hugged me.
“I am sorry for making you cry last night. The moment I decided that you are the one I want, I came to Delhi. Just to know what’s in your heart, I had made that call last night. I am sorry love.  you are mine now.” And then he slipped the ring to my finger.
I looked up to see him smile. The most dazzling smile I ever saw and I will be seeing it for a long time now. 

3 comments:

  1. wow... beautiful story..!! :* sweet <3 u r writer now!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it short and crisp...it adds a flavor in the write-up.
    U can do better :)

    luv, Nana

    ReplyDelete