Monday 14 May 2012

KINDNESS



I was deep in sleep when the vibration of my phone woke me up. I looked up at the time and it was 3pm. considering the fact that it was a Sunday, I had the basic human right of not to be disturbed on a holiday.
It had been a rough week. I had worked straight through the week; 10 hours per day [even Saturday] at least I deserved some mercy, but no! They were cruel. Didn’t I know that already?
I looked up at my cell. It wasn’t a number that I had taken the pain to save in my cell phone. I ignored it. Call from known people was more than enough to piss me off. I didn’t need an extra topping from unknown people now. The call ended.
Adding to the flavor of working all week, I had received a dessert of “guilt trip” from mom who had been chanting the mantra of “you do not have time for me” during lunch. As expected I had stormed out of the dinging room, skipping my lunch.
It was just after a minute that my cell vibrated again. The inaudible trrr trrr of my little, cute, hugely irritating phone made my head explode. Finally I picked it up…
“Whoever this is... I am going to kill you for ruining my sleep” I said, mentally of course.
In real I said “hello”
From the other side I heard a familiar voice “hello Aditi. This is Subhalakshmi.”
M. Subhalashmi or simply Lakshmi aunty worked with me at office. She was the reason I didn’t mind spending all days of week at office. She was short, fragile with a bit of grey hair, beautiful nonetheless. There was something about her face that radiated warmth. Whenever I got time in office, I go to her and we would sit and chat. Despite her age, she was quite modern in her thoughts and I loved that about her.
 “Sorry dear if I disturbed you on holiday”
“Its okay aunty. Is everything alright?”
“Actually I need a bit of help from you. I am standing in front of the city hospital and calling from booth”
I panicked. “Are you alright? What happened? Are you hurt?”
“Calm down Aditi. I am fine. If it’s not too much asking, can you pick me up? I have my grandson with me and he can’t walk as he broke his leg this morning and now it’s plastered. I was waiting for taxi but I just heard that today is some sort of strike”
“Its okay aunty. Just stay there. I am reaching within 10minutes”
I picked up my purse, car keys and left my room. Mom was watching TV in the hall.
“Maa I am going out. I have some work. I will return in an hour” no matter how mad I was, I never forgot to tell her before going out. It had become a custom after dad was transferred out of state.
“But you didn’t even had lunch!”  she exclaimed.
I was hungry. But anger outlived my hunger.
“My stomach is full... actually overflowing with the conversation that you fed me”
I didn’t hear what she was saying. I left. I found Lakshmi aunty standing in front of the hospital gate. She waved at me. Beside her, was a kid? He was Perhaps 8years old with a plastered leg.
I got out and helped the kid to get in the back seat. Aunty sat with me in the front. After putting on seat belts, I asked, “where to?”
Aunty never mentioned where she stayed.
She smiled and said “I will tell you the directions”
After driving about half an hour, she suddenly said “just two houses ahead is my home”
I stopped after two houses. I looked at the house and then looked at aunty with confusion. She smiled. “Is this where you live?” I asked in confusion.
“Yes. Would you like to come in?”
I wasn’t sure if this was a joke. She got out and helped the kid. I joined her. And then we went inside a house, the board outside read “HOPE – a home for orphan children”
The inside of the house was not like any orphanage. It looked like a normal home. The only difference was that there were many children… of all age groups, moving about the house.
On seeing Lakshmi aunty, they all ran towards and formed a crowd around her.
One thing I noticed was that all the kids referred to aunty as “maa”. Some kids told aunty about some fights they had, some showed her the paintings they made, books they read and much more. After a while, aunty said,
“Kids I want you to meet someone. This is Aditi didi”
Everyone said “hello didi “in unison. I smiled back... aunty said again “kids we should ask didi to sit and have something Na? She helped us today”
No sooner she said the words… that the kids welcomed me. One kid bought a chair. Another got me a glass of water”
I sat there nibbling at the cookies I was offered while aunty went inside with all the kids. She returned after few minutes.
“So dear… do you like my house?”
“I don’t understand aunty. You stay here? Really?”
“Yes. What’s wrong with this place?”
“As far as I know, you have two sons, right?”
She laughed. “Yes. I do. They visit me every Saturday”
“Did they ask you to move out?” I asked. That’s what’s happening these days.
She laughed some more. “They didn’t kick me out, if that’s what you are asking. I like it here.”
“Why? Why an orphanage?”
“Dear it’s a home, a home with lots of kids. This is the first house that my husband and I bought. We turned it into HOPE after my younger son left for college. after my husband passed away, I took charge of running it.”
“And how does it run?”
“With my salary. And my husband’s pension. Some people donate funds at times”
“I still don’t understand aunty.”
“Aditi, not all of us are fortunate enough to be born in a family, or get the basic necessities of life. I was brought up in an orphanage myself, though that place was very different from this one. They used to make us work. Food was miserable. We got new clothes once a year on annual day when people used to visit to donate money. That was when I decided that one day I will make a home for kids like me who will have normal life like every kid living with parents”
“I noticed they call you maa”
“I am the only family they have beside each other. They do not know what mother and father is, and what affection is. I am both to them. That’s the reason they call me maa. I am their mother, father, grandmother… everything. When I see children fighting with their parents, I think of these children. They would do anything to have even a bit of love and care, but the ones who have parents do not care. They should stand in these kid’s shoes for one moment. They are lucky.”
“Yes they are.” I said and got up.
“You are leaving? Please stay for evening prayers. It will start in sometime”
“No aunty. I have some urgent work at home. I have to leave.”
She smiled, “as you wish dear. Thank you for helping me”
“No. thanks you. I owe you a lot” I said and hugged her.
When I came outside, the children followed and came near me. Standing there among so many kids, I felt like a kindergaden teacher.  A small girl about 5years old pulled my hand.
“Didi will you come back?” she asked with eyes full of expectation.
“What is your name?” I asked.
“Khushi”
“Khushi” I said bending down on my knees“I promise I will be back next Saturday” she planted a kiss on my cheeks.
I went to my car. I turned to look all kids waving at me. Standing beside them was Lakshmi aunty. Together they looked like the most perfect family in the world.
I came home and said “mom… lets go shopping”
She was puzzled. “What?”
“Yes. Let’s go. It’s been a long time since we had some girl time together. Shopping, then dinner. Get ready”
“But you said you had a long week and you want to rest”
“I will take the day off tomorrow. Just get ready. I can’t wait. I am hungry”
“I knew you would be hungry. I made kheer”
I went to her and hugged her. Silently I prayed “thank you god. I love my mom”

No comments:

Post a Comment